- Talent Development – Expand the skilled worker pipeline via Chamber Intern Connect, talent retention efforts with the Boston Federal Reserve Bank, and strengthened business-academia relations.
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Education – Build support for STEM education as part of a statewide coalition to strengthen the STEM teacher pool and STEM funding.
- Public Higher Education – Strengthen state financing for public higher education, including state matching funds for research and innovation grants.
- State Tax Administration Reform – Improve state tax administration policies and procedures related to tax regulations, building on the implementation of Chamber tax reforms enacted in 2011.
- Tax Credits & Incentives – Drive innovation and spur new technologies by increasing the state’s investment tax credit from 3 percent to 5percent, and create a new tax credit to promote energy efficiency among businesses.
- Net Operating Loss Carry forwards for Financial Institutions and Utilities – Extend NOL carry forwards to the state’s finance and utility sectors, strengthening their competitiveness and bringing tax policy in line with that of most U.S. states.
- Health Care Payment Reform – Advance payment reform to bring health care cost growth under control, improve the coordination of services, and diminish the use of fee-for-service payments.
- Unemployment Insurance Reform (UI) – Freeze UI tax rates, thus averting a dramatic rate increase in the first quarter of 2012, and reform UI eligibility policies.
- Leading Industries – Promote the growth of the region’s economic engines including financial services and life sciences, expanding opportunity for Greater Boston companies and workers.
- Energy – Lower employers’ energy costs by promoting energy efficiency and expanding regional energy supplies, while promoting new technologies for cleaner and renewable energy.
- Development – Promote development in critical areas such as the South Boston Waterfront, and remove legal/regulatory barriers to new development.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD A PDF OF OUR 2012 BUSINESS GROWTH AGENDA.